TC10178 – saved from sitting on bricks since 1967 in a lock up garage in Sheffield

In the June issue of TTT 2 I mentioned that Norman Verona had contacted me to say that he had found the TTT 2 website and that he had registered his newly acquired TC on the T-Database. He promised that he would send regular updates of a total restoration which he intended carrying out himself. The first update was published in the August issue of TTT 2. This is Norman’s second update.

August wasn’t the best month for progress. I have to get all the body panels stripped to bare metal. I have some very potent paint stripper, you’ll see how potent later on in the report.

The front wings have been done and delivered to the bodyshop. I reckoned the rest, front apron, four parts of the bonnet, the bulkhead, running boards, rear wings, rear quarter panels and rear panel would take about 2 weeks, 10 day’s work. It took all month!

The first week we had my daughter and her partner here, or as I say, Paul and his ‘floosie’. Then in the third week my son, his wife, her daughter and Malakai, our grandson visited for a long weekend. We went out every day and ate out a lot so I’ve put 5 kilos on. Strict diet and plenty of hard work will get that off in 10 days – I hope.

I was brushing the paint stripper on, leaving it for about 20 minutes and then scraping the melted paint off. However it didn’t all come off so I bought an orbital sander and several packs of abrasive discs. It still took ages. Then a friend popped round and suggested I get some scrubbing discs which go in the angle grinder. I went to Castarama and bought all they had, 6 discs. It worked a treat. In case you’re not aware what they are, think of the dishwashing sponges with the green scourer on one side. These are similar but much stronger and coarser. They lasted about an hour so I went to a different Castarama and bought all they had. Then I ran out of paint stripper, so had to go to Angers to get more.

Now, just how strong is this paint stripper? Well when I started I assume that I must have sat on the brush. My bottom felt like I had a spot on it by the evening so I asked my poor suffering wife to look. She was horrified. A patch about the size of my hand had a chemical burn. No skin left and the flesh burnt away. We started to dress it with a cream every day and it’s just, today (26th August) getting better. Lynne, my wife has called it my “sore bum – The Sorbonne”

I finally got the repair kit from Gliptone for the leather seats. I’m very pleased with the results but it was a lot of hard work.

Part cleaned and colour washed to show the before and after.

And the completed product.

I will now leave it for a few weeks to dry out then start treating it with conditioner.

The rest of the interior trim is beyond saving so I have got a complete set of trim from Tom Watson of Kimber Creek in the US. Looks good,

Four sections of bonnet. The louvres were the hardest part, took ages to get the paint off.

The inside of the bulkhead.

The inside of one of the rear wings. Note the rust hole at the front edge of the “flap”.

The worst panel is the front apron which has had a knock on the nearside. This broke the original fog lamp but I’ve sourced another. There is rust on the leading edges of the front wings, bottom of the doors, at the wide ends of the running boards and the sides of the scuttle.

The two rear quarter panels are beyond repair so I’ve ordered new ones which should be here in the middle of September.

I’ve already got new inner rear wings, front quarter panels and the side screen box. The body shop, who specialise in renovating aged Citroens, will repair the rusted areas with solder, not filler.

To get the inside of the rear wings ground out with the angle grinder I had to get Lynne to help. Poor thing, the black dust of paint and rust was blowing straight in her face. And mine….

This took some scrubbing to get clean!

Progress at last. The bulkhead down to bare metal.

As an aside, I found the manufacturers brass label on the fuel tank. From a different age.

When I got to cleaning the fuel tank found a small rust hole in the lower side panel. I have an oxy-acetylene plant I bought from the UK nearly 10 years ago. On the Sunday friends came round and Phil bought his broken plaster whisk to weld up. I was saying how long the gas has lasted. Then Monday morning I start to weld a patch on the tank and find the acetylene has run out. Off to Castarama (at the same time I went to get the extra paint stripper which is nearby) and bought a new oxy-acetylene plant:

My son and his tribe left on Tuesday 24th at 0700. I started work half hour later. All the panels I had already got to bare metal had been coated in phosphate to kill any rust (and there is quite a bit). I spent all day washing the panels to get any residual paint stripper off and skurfing the panels to get the phosphates off. Finished at 1800. And that seems to be the end of stripping paint.

Next morning I spent an hour sweeping the workshop and putting the tools away. Then I started building the car. I am getting the brakes and hubs on so I can wheel the chassis back giving me space to get the engine and gearbox stripped.

Well that was the plan but I had a nightmare getting the handbrake cable routed and the shoes on. Got the hub and half shaft on but the drum wouldn’t go on. I have got the cable incorrectly routed so in the morning I will take it all apart again, route the cable correctly and hope the drum goes on. All day and I end up where I was at about 1030 in the morning.

The assembled rear shoes. I think the cable is expanding the handbrake lever.

Start again in the morning. It’s now the evening of the 26th August so I hope we will have much better progress to report at the end of September.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *