DVLA Items of Interest

1. Date of First Registration for Imported Vehicles

When a vehicle has been imported into the UK and is subsequently granted an age-related registration mark by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) the ‘Date of first registration’ on the registration document (V5C) is shown as the date the vehicle was entered on the current DVLA system. This is non-negotiable!

In the case of the build date (‘Year of Manufacture’) shown for the vehicle on the DVLA’s vehicle enquiry service, this can be altered if it is incorrectly shown. However, DVLA require a letter from the appropriate owner’s Club with an extract from the Production Records in support; I have just done one for an Octagon Car Club member.

2. Exemption from MOT Testing

The Regulations state that vehicles built over 40 years ago and not substantially changed are exempt from MOT testing.

The decision as to whether a vehicle has been substantially changed (within the past thirty years)

rests with its keeper.

Criteria for substantial change fall into the following categories:

Chassis (replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a substantial change). An alteration to the chassis design probably would be, unless the following applies:

changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of the end of production)

Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change;

The VW steering box conversion might be allowed under the following:

in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance;

Engine: If your TD has a Volvo engine then this would be regarded as a substantial change. However, if your XPAG TD engine has been bored out to 1350 cc, then it wouldn’t.

From now (well, actually from last May when the regulations were amended), when you relicense your historic vehicle (now called Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI) at a post office you will be asked to show the counter clerk a signed form V112 (Exemption from MOT) – it can be downloaded from the Internet. If you relicense on line there is a box to be ticked to confirm that your vehicle is exempt from MOT. JOHN JAMES