In 2001 Lech Zakrzewski published a drawing of an oil filter converter for an MPJG engine which has a Tecalemit bracket between the block and the filter housing.
Much has been written about oil filter converters using custom made parts and parts from much later engines. The advantage of Lech’s conversion is that no extra pipe work or additional metalwork is necessary. I decided to make this from aluminium as a bar of suitable diameter was available. This needed a threaded steel sleeve for the screw-on filter for wear reasons. The complete original working drawing is shown opposite.
The oil flow for the original felt type filter was from the centre of the filter to its outside. This converter causes the oil to flow from the outside of the filter to its centre as is usual for modern filters.
There are two types of oil filter bracket for the MPJG engine. For early blocks the bracket is mounted below the oil gallery and two oil pipes are used, one from the oil pump to the bracket and one from the bracket to the block oil gallery. This bracket was changed for later blocks to the type which is bolted to the block at the oil gallery.
The later bracket has a bypass valve which should be blocked similarly to that shown. In the photographs, both sides of the converter are shown with the later Tecalemit filter to block bracket. This type of bracket is used on MPJG Engine no.1025 which came with my TA no.0844. As it was in very good condition this converter was ideal.
The upper photo of the two above shows the top of the converter and the Tecalemit bracket as fitted to the block. The lower photo shows the filter screw on the side of the converter and the bracket by-pass hole filled with a grub screw. There should be an annealed copper washer under the screw which holds the converter to the bracket. A suitable washer is a top bearing washer from an SU ‘H’ type carburettor, part number AUC 2122. This will need a slight increase in its internal diameter.
At the final assembly (photo, right) the converter is positioned between the oil pump and the breather pipe with the thread on the converter fixing screw secured with Locktite 243 Threadlock. Between the converter and the Tecalemit bracket I used a flat rubber ring, this was from my spares box, its origin is unknown. Its dimensions are 50mm inside diameter 59mm outside and about 1.5mm thick. As an alternative I think that a thick paper gasket and suitable gasket cement can be used.
Suitable filters are: Fram PH966, Unipart GFE 443, Champion C 103, Motoquip VFL 101, Crossland CRO 642, Cooper Z25, Wix WL7098, Hof 203, Delphi FX0004.
Many thanks to Lech Zakrzewski for the drawing (above) and details.