Launched in 1953 the MG TF was very much a stop-gap model. The MG TD, which it replaced, was beginning to look dated and there was demand for a more streamlined body which had been denied M.G. by Leonard Lord in opting for the tie up with Donald Healey to produce the Austin-Healey 100. M.G. would have to wait another two years before it could proceed with the MGA.
The TF was essentially a TD with a lowered body line. This was achieved by a combination of lowering the scuttle and reducing the radiator height. The headlights were faired in the wings and a sloping grille added to the sleeker look when compared with the TD.
Little did the handful of Abingdon men, who cobbled together the TF for it to go into production, know that their new creation would, in later years, be regarded as one of the prettiest of the T-Types.
• Click here to subscribe for free to Totally T-Type 2, the bimonthly technical publication for MG T-Series owners
Mechanically, the 1250cc version of the TF was virtually the same as the TD, but for the first time on an MG a pressurized cooling system was employed. Bigger carburettors (1 1/2") were fitted to the TF, along with pancake air filters.
The 1500cc XPEG engine was introduced to further modernise the TF against the competition of the era (principally the 110mph TR2) and this gave the TF1500 a top speed of 90mph.
Very few home market TF1500s were produced in RH drive with most of the LH drive models going to the States.
Of the 9,600 TFs produced, 3,400 were TF1500s.
• Click here to add your MG T-Type to the T-Database